Monday, July 1, 2013

The Move

Well, we moved. It was a whirlwind. We found the apartment posted on Wednesday, so I called to set up a time to go look at it. We had looked at a few others, but none of them worked out. We went to see it on Thursday night, found out Friday afternoon that we got it, and moved in Saturday. On Thursday I packed up our textbooks just in case we got it, but we still spent ALL night Friday packing. We have so much stuff. I really can't believe it. Where does it all come from??

We went over to the new apartment Saturday morning to pay our rent and deposit and to sign the contract! The rest of the morning was spent packing everything else in our apartment and cleaning. At 2 James, Miranda, Josh, Katy, Taylor, Katie, and Kyrie all came over to help us move. It was awesome. We never could have done it without all of their help. (Taylor and Katie are in our ward and were James' friends even before that.) I felt pretty loved when everyone volunteered to help us out. I also felt kind of bad because it ended up taking like 4 hours, and everyone is too nice to say no or just leave. We did buy pizza to try to make up for stealing their entire Saturday afternoon. At least we had everything boxed up before they got there, right? Oh, yeah, and we had to pick the hottest weekend of the year, too. It was like 95 degrees.

So, we're all moved in now, except for some cleaning supplies we left over there. We have to make one more run to Deseret Industries with one of our old couches and some things tonight, and then we'll probably vacuum and sweep one final time. We like our new apartment, and it will be nice to get everything moved into place. We've been taking it one box at a time. I'll post some pictures when we're done unpacking. We'll probably spend all day on the 4th working on it since we won't have class or work.

On Saturday after we finished moving in our last boxes, we managed to find our sunday clothes and went to my cousin Courtney's wedding reception. She is Uncle Bill's daughter. It was good to see Aunt Shirley and Uncle Dave again, and to meet some of my cousins and relatives on Mom's side. I'm glad we went, even though we looked all sweaty and gross from moving.

Yesterday we had our last Sunday in the 41st ward. We'll miss it. We really enjoyed our callings there as ward temple and family history directors. It was kind of sad that we left so abruptly, but that's life sometimes. I didn't really want to move, but once we found the apartment, I got pretty excited about it. I like change. It's good. It motivates me to work harder at things I'm struggling with. Like keeping up with our dishes (We have to now. No more dishwasher.) and laundry, and getting back into running. Like keeping things more organized and actually finding a home for everything we own. Our old apartment was bigger, but it had less storage space, so some things never really had a place. I thought a lot about how lucky I am to have Spencer when we were moving. I feel so blessed to know that no matter where we move, or what changes we have to go though, we'll do it together. Change is less scary when you're not doing it alone.

We're both pretty tired from the very busy weekend, but we're happy. Now I have to go catch up on some reading I didn't get around to doing over the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I can't wait to see pictures of your new place. I like change, too, like reorganizing. I'm glad you have Spencer by your side. And I'm glad you went to Courtney's reception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least it wasn't hot while you were moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me. haha. :) I fixed it.

      Delete