Monday, May 14, 2012

Birthday Dinner and Mother's Day

Sometimes I feel like I live for the weekends. I look forward to them all week long and then they are over so quickly! On Saturday I went and got a much-needed haircut with a gift certificate I won at a raffle for the hunger-games movie we went to with the Waltons. WooHoo! After we got back from that and all the other driving around we had to do I went over to Sabrina's to work on my dress for a few hours. We are almost done with the bodice now. Oh, we also went to do some shopping and I found a pair of jeans at JC Penney's for $8!! And a fun summer hat.

Sundays are always nice and relaxing days. We were invited over for lunch by Amber and Matt, the other childless couple in our ward (they're expecting though), and it was really fun. They made spaghetti and some rosemary bread and we brought some apples and caramel dip for a snacky dessert. We played a game of Killer Bunnies with them, which I remember Marianne bringing home for Christmas one year, but I didn't understand it then. It's a pretty fun game, now that I understood how to play. But maybe it helps that I've actually gotten into playing games since I've met Spencer. I didn't really like them before, but now that I've accepted that I'll almost always lose they're fun. ;-) Spencer says it's next on his list of games we need to get.

We went back home, and I cleaned the bathroom while Spencer made dinner for me. Then I went to pick up James, who made me a pretty awesome cake. We had sweet and sour chicken with rice for dinner, and then I opened the presents James got me. He got me a thermos and this cool stacking food container for camping. I don't know what it's called, but I like it. His cake was super good, and we even had some caramel "frozen dessert" to go with it! After the candles were lit James and Spencer both just kinda looked at me for a while, until I asked if they were going to sing to me. haha. Spencer said no, because it wasn't my birthday, and then asked me if I was going to sing to him. I refused to blow out the candles until they sang. They did a lovely job.


Later, we skyped with Mom and Mikayla (and Dad and Brigham, but mostly Mom and Mikayla) to wish Mom a happy Mother's Day. That was really fun and it was nice to have someone to call on Mother's Day. Mother's Day has always been one of the harder days of the year. I remember in grade school we'd do Mother's Day projects as a class. I would make them for Dad and hide them in my room until Father's Day, or sometimes I would make them for Grandma instead. At church there are always great talks about Mothers and I am reminded of how blessed I am to have the Mom I have. Lots of my memories of her are a little of vague and unspecific, but her example still shines in my life and I have often thought that if I can be as good of a Mom as she is, then I'd be successful. This Mother's Day I also felt blessed to have such a good Mom-in-law to help me learn some of the things Mom didn't quite get to teach me.

1 comment:

  1. Darn right those boys have to sing for you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete