Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Term Begins

Well, it's back to the old grind. For some reason I am still feeling a bit burned out from winter semester, and am not very excited about getting back into classes and schoolwork. Maybe part of that is the fact that I didn't go through my normal pre-class routine with buying textbooks and organizing everything like I usually do. Spencer and I are signed up for the same classes, so he just picked up our textbooks one day while I was at work. I guess we aren't in all the same classes. He's taking a weightlifting class. I was going to take it with him, but it starts at 5 and I have to work until 5, so I'd never be to class on time. I'll probably just go join him in the weight room after I get off work anyway. We're taking anatomy and a humanities class.

We only have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but our classes go from noon to 8:30 p.m. I'd rather have it like that than have class every day though. This way I can still probably work about 30 hours a week if I want to. We'll see how hard the workload is for the classes. I'm pretty nervous about anatomy right now, but maybe when I get into it it won't be so bad. I'm excited to learn it, but we cover between 2 and 4 chapters each lecture and we have lab quizzes every Tuesday and Thursday. It's mostly memorization, with names of bones, muscles, etc. and their spelling. If you are more than 1 letter off on the lab quizzes I guess they mark it wrong. I think it will be fun, but it'll be lots of work. Thank goodness Spencer and I are taking it together so we can quiz each other. I'm not sure how hard our humanities class is going to be yet. The professor hasn't emailed us or posted a syllabus online or anything, so I guess we'll find out tonight. I think the biggest challenge with that class will be keeping on top of all the reading that's going to be assigned. We have a textbook, a selected readings packet, and 3 novels to read (Hamlet, Frankenstein, and Rosencrants &Guildenstern are Dead). This is only a 6 week course, people! I think I'll enjoy these books more than some of the books and stories I had to read for my other humanities class though. Greek and Roman mythology weren't really my thing. It should be good.

Benjamin had a couple of his classes yesterday for the first time and I asked him how it was. He said he feels like his biology class will be tough, but he'll like it and that his writing class will be the death of him. I think he'll be alright. He mentioned that he feels like the stupidest kid in his writing class, and it made me think about my first classes at BYU. I felt like the dumbest kid in my trigonometry class I took summer term of my freshman year. I didn't even know what the unit circle was and we had to memorize it in 4 days. I got into Chem and Biology classes and felt like I was way behind everyone that had taken AP Chem and Bio in high school. They all talked big about how easy stuff was for the first two weeks (it was all new to me!) but then their head start came to an abrupt end. Really though, I think for the first couple weeks of every semester for my freshman year I thought I was so far behind everyone and that they were all way smarter than me. But here's the thing about BYU:  Nobody is stupid here. Even compared to your classmates, you can't say who's smarter. Some kids are awful at chemistry and some kids are awful at english, but nobody's stupid. Everyone focuses their studies on something they enjoy and where their strengths are. I'm pretty good at the sciences here, but if I had to take a history of music class where you have to listen to classical songs and name the song and it's composer I'd probably do terribly. In high school everyone is pretty much taking the same classes so it's easy to label your classmates as smart or dumb, but it's different when you get out here. I think Benjamin will do great with his classes once they start rolling.

1 comment: