Friday, May 3, 2013

Life

Life never seems to slow down for us. Spencer has been working so hard at his MCAT prep, and I'm so proud of him. He probably studies for about 10 hours a day, and he would probably do more, but I come home from work and demand his attention for a while. I know this test is really important, but after working for 8 or 9 hours and trying to find something to make for dinner (I'm bad at meal planning) I just want to enjoy my spring term off of school and sit around doing nothing with my husband. I try to keep myself busy so he can focus, but I think I need to try a little harder. The more I think about it, the more I think it's a good thing I'll be leaving Spence alone for a week before his test. :-) He'll do great on it. 

Work has been going really well. We've been busy, which helps the long days pass faster, and I've been learning some new things. Like how to use real computer commands and code to upload and analyze data. It's a little stressful, actually. My boss is leaving this weekend, so I have to be able to get the data to the users while he's gone. In my free time at work I've been studying off and on for the GRE. I need to crack down on that more, but I've at least started. I've realized that while my biology vocabulary has increased a ton during my time here, my general vocab hasn't. What's the best way to learn 1,000 vocab words in two months, anyway? Other than that, I finally got my textbook from Amazon for my independent study course, so I started that last night. Hopefully I'll get it done pretty quickly. 

A couple days ago I found a PT clinic that is willing to let me volunteer/shadow there to get some hours for my PT applications. They want me to shadow there for like 12 hours a week, which is great for my PT applications, but not so great for my paycheck. Someone in my ward also put me in touch with his uncle who is a PT, so I'll probably start shadowing there on Saturdays. It will be good to see two more clinics and get to know the PTs. I need letters of recommendation in couple months, after all. I'm going to the first clinic for 4 hours this afternoon and I'm excited, but a little bit nervous. Up until now I've only shadowed at a pediatric clinic and with a school PT (also pediatrics) and I've decided that I don't want to do pediatrics like I had originally thought. Now I'm a little nervous about finding out if I really want to do PT. haha. I guess that is the point of shadowing, but it will be pretty sad if I decide after all of this hard work that I don't even want to do it. I'm still not really sure if physical therapy school is going to work out or be right for us anyway. Why are life decisions so hard??

In other news, I made homemade wheat thin-like crackers the other day. They were good. I was bored and came across the recipe on a blog, so I gave it a shot. It's mostly exciting because crackers are stupidly expensive, and these were pretty easy to make. 

2 comments: