Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Busy Saturday

Saturday morning we got up early to pick up our Bountiful Basket! Bountiful Baskets is a food co-op where you pay 15 dollars ($20 the first time) and you go pick up a basket full of fresh produce! You don't get to choose what will be in it, and if you miss your 20 minute pick-up window they donate it. Spencer signed us up for it this week for the first time. He was really excited about it all week. 

Does he look pretty happy? 

This is what we got. That's a lot of anaheim peppers.

One of the fun things about it is that you don't know what you're gonna get and it makes you figure out how to use produce that you might not usually buy. That means new recipes! Tonight we made spinach and mushroom lasagna with a white sauce to use the mushrooms, spinach, and an onion. It was some good lasagna. 

We put those strawberries to good use as soon as we got home. 


After eating those delicious pancakes, Spencer dropped me off on campus for my ecology field trip. I had a good list of things I could have been doing with my Saturday before finals week, but I was looking forward to this field trip and I was required to go. We made a couple stops to talk about the geological history of the valley and stream ecology. 

These make my hips look so good!

This is my professor telling us about this brown trout and how it's body is adapted to it's environment and role in the ecosystem. He is a stream ecologist by profession, so he knew a ton about it. We caught some stream bugs and he knew each of their scientific names and just about everything about their life cycle.

Goin' electrofishin'! 

I'm so good at this. I caught 4 fish! 

So, this is my first time ever catching a fish. Besides some minnows that we caught in pop cans as kids and brought home to put in our fish bowl. It's kind of cheating when the fish is unconscious and floating belly-up, but that's alright. :) We released them all after we talked about them. It was a pretty fun field trip, but I'm no field biologist. 

1 comment:

  1. That co-op thing sounds awesome. There's one around here that someone was telling me about, but you have to know someone to get an in...or something. What are you going to do with all those peppers?

    You have no hips. Even in that suit.

    Fun field trip!

    ReplyDelete