About a week ago we got a call from our landlord with some bad news. The city was onto him. The zoning laws in this area of Provo, which we knew nothing about when we signed our contract here a year and a half ago, say the owner cannot rent out the house to two sets of renters. Right now we are renting the basement and other people are renting the upstairs. The owner either has to be living in the house to rent part of it, or be renting the whole house to one family. In short, the way it was being rented was unlawful, and we will have to move out by August 1st. After all, we can't really afford to rent out the whole house.
We had considered renting the house with Ben and Sydney (who are having trouble finding a new place to rent because they bought a puppy), but because there are two kitchens in the house, it's not legal. It's complicated stuff, but I called the city to check, and the answer was no. So the house hunt begins.
I probably spent a good 3 hours looking at listings on KSL today while I was at work. Work has been slow lately. We checked a few places out tonight, and I'll call a few more tomorrow. One was small, dark, and too much like a basement. It was a basement, in fact, but not as finished as the one we are currently living in. The next was nice, and we filled out an application, but there were a lot of people interested in it. Unless the current renters really take pity on us for our tale of woe, we probably won't get it. The last was very nice, but too expensive with internet and utilities thrown on top of rent. It's probably the kind of place we'll want to look for when we move for medical school. Not dumpy, student housing, but nothing too fancy.
I'm not too upset about moving. To be honest, I had come across something online about zoning laws in Provo several months ago and suspected that our landlord was renting improperly. I didn't think we'd actually get booted over it, but here we are. I guess someone down the street from us called the city to report the situation. I am a little annoyed that it had to happen right when classes were starting for us. The first day of class was today, people! If we are lucky enough to get into the apartment we applied for we'll be moving out of here within a week. Yikes. It would have been great to do all of this 2 months ago when we were just working. On the bright side, it's summer time and there are plenty of apartments posted right now. We'll find something. We might find something to move into by July 1st, but most likely we'll be moving at the end of July. Right when the term gets crazy with exams and papers, most likely. :-)
I am sad to be leaving our ward, though. Spencer and I aren't really that good at making friends and being outgoing people. It takes us a while to get to know a ward and feel like we're really a part of it. We like our ward right now, and it will be sad to leave, especially with such short notice. This Sunday could be our last Sunday there!
Oh, bummer. It'll be good, don't worry! New friends. Maybe a ward you fit into right away? Love you!
ReplyDelete